Places to visit and things to do with your family and friends in the city that LOVES Christmas. Here is our list:
1. Visit the nativity scene at the Church of Agios Nikolaos where cute little sheep are munching on hay.
2. Take a photo of the Argo which in December is taken out of the water and placed in front of the Papastratos building (the headquarters of the University of Thessaly).
3. Early in the evening enjoy a cocktail at the bars in Kontaratou and Koumoundourou street where the blue Christmas lights are at their best. It is quite a unique atmosphere!
4. Take an afternoon trip to Makrinitsa to enjoy the sunset, a cup of mountain tea and the view to city below with its night lights.
5. Visit the roasted chestnut stand at Ermou and Kartali street.
6. Don’t miss the spectacle of thousands of lanterns being released to the sky on December 26th. Buy yours and participate in the event at the sea front.
7. Enjoy a tsipouro and a variety of meze dishes in authentic tsipouro restaurants located in the small alley ways in the center of the city.
8. Go for ice skating at the skating rink near the Town Hall.
9. On New Year’s Eve don’t miss the fireworks and the ships blowing their horns at the port of Volos.
10. Enter the dozens of bakeries in the city center to try Christmas sweets, melomakarona and kourambiedes.
11. On New Year’s Eve get a free guided tour at the Archaeological Museum of Volos offered by Pelion Culture (www.pelionculture.gr).
12. Several restaurants create special Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, and New Year's Eve menus with products locally sourced. Make a reservation!
13. Roam around the streets of Volos and warm your heart with the Christmas spirit. You will be walking on a red carpet and under the “blue sky”! Real Christmas trees decorate the entrance of each store.
14. Go to the Pelion Ski Resort at Chania for skiing or just for the snow and the mountain views!
15. Explore a less touristy mountain village. Why not go to Agios Lavrentios this time! Choose a restaurant and sit by the fireplace drinking local wine and savoring delicious food.
16. Moutzouris, the legendary little train of Pelion, will be up and running. What could be more season appropriate than joining it for a ride on the snowy slopes of the Mountain of the Centaurs.