Pelion is not just amazing beaches, breathtaking trails, and skiing with a sea view. In fact, we think it is mostly about Archaeology and Greek Mythology (the stories about the ancient Greek gods and heroes that have inspired audiences from 8th century BC Greece to 21st century America). While the natural beauty of the Pelion peninsula is undeniable, Volos and Pelion are so culturally rich that a visit to the region is incomplete without experiencing the Archaeological Museum. Becoming familiar with the local culture and myths will add significant value to your travel experience.
Our guided tour of the Archaeological Museum of Volos introduces you to the most significant aspects of the archaeology, history, and mythology of the region. It is not a lecture-style tour, but rather a vivid discussion that allows participants to ask questions about topics they find particularly interesting.
- Artifacts from Sesklo and Dimini, the earliest farming communities in Europe (7th - 3rd millennium BC)
- Rare original works of ancient Greek painting (3rd century BC)
- Spectacular golden jewelry
- Authentic graves dating from the Bronze Age (3rd millennium BC) to the Hellenistic period (3rd century BC)
- Two Panathenaic amphoras brought back by the victors in the Panathenaic Games
- Silver coin hoard found in a common pottery jar
- Roman tavern that was found intact and reconstructed in the museum exactly as found
Tour Duration: approximately 1 hour 30 minutes
Tour is available upon request every day from 8:30 AM - 4:00 PM except Tuesdays.